Thursday, March 21, 2013

Shadow of the Wolf by S.M. Pace

 



       

Toby has always felt like an outcast in his village, but he thought winning a game at the Summer Fair was the answer to making friends. The local boys disagreed and literally threw Toby to the wolves. Stranded in enemy territory with a broken leg, he’s offered two options by the resident werewolves; death or permanent exile from his race.

Although Toby longs to return to his family, he chooses to live. But the werewolf children torment him just like the boys and girls back home. When he fights back and discovers he can wield magic, a crime in his old kingdom, he realizes he’s safer with the werewolves than he ever was amongst his own kind. He even finds happiness and acceptance, until his real sister contacts him with her own forbidden magic.

Fearing for her safety, Toby must decide where his loyalties lie; with the family he grew up with or the werewolves who took him in when his own people discarded him?

Purchase a copy of Shadow of the Wolf on Amazon.  
And don't forget to add it to your Goodreads TBR!
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher Type: Indie
Rating: 
My Review:

I at first passed up this book just because when I looked at the cover I was not interested. Then after going back and deciding to read the synopsis I decided to give it a try. Im so glad that I did! It really is a great story. Never let a cover fool you, thats for sure. 
I love Stephanie's writing and I love how she made the characters feel so real and alive. She made the scenery and everything very realistic as your reading.

I love how she had this book with both the main characters, Ora and Toby, point of view. Its really neat how she has it switching back and forth and with them both telling the story. You know what both characters are doing at all times. 

I hate the town that Ora and Toby are from, Yois, its filled with a bunch of magic haters. If found or suspected to have magical powers you are killed. No questions asked. I think that is so wrong especially if you are not guilty of a crime. 

When Toby got thrown to the werewolves by an evil boy I was scared for Toby thinking that these werewolves would kill him, but the way they take him in as family even after they find out a secret about Toby is awesome. 

The people of Yois hate Toby and during the first half of the book you have no idea why...of course you can guess and come up with your own theories but nothing is said about why he is hated in the beginning. So its like this big mystery that makes you keep reading to find out. Then when you do figure out what Toby's secret is you keep reading to watch him grow with his secret. 

This was a good book and the only reason why Im giving it a 4 stars is because I felt that it dragged just a bit with the secret involving Toby. Other then that this was a good book and I will read the second book. 
Author's Bio and Guest Post:
Stephanie Pace is an avid reader of every genre, though fantasy is her favorite. She started writing at fifteen and never looked back. She currently works as a pre-K teacher by day, and a determined self-publisher by night. When she’s not distracting herself with conlanging and world-building, she loves to do cross stitch or escape to the outdoors when the weather is nice. She lives in central Virginia with her boyfriend, and the rest of her crazy, amazingly supportive family close by.

Get to know Stephanie better on her Book Site, Blog, Twitter and Facebook.   
So are you curious to see what Stephanie's office looks like?! Well here ya go:

The first thing you’ll notice is that the walls are a vibrant, rather eye-smarting shade of purple.  I picked out the color myself, and I still love it. 
The second thing you’ll notice is either the lack of windows or the lack of size.  My office started out as a rather large storage closet.  I love small spaces.  They make me feel cozy.  And not having a window to stare out of helps me avoid distraction. 
My desk is low enough that I sit in a camping chair to use my computer.  Littered across my desks are post it notes, paper clips, a three hole punch, cups for pens and pencils, and my collection of muses.  I have three Native American worry dolls, two thumbnail sized animal toys from the San Diego Zoo, a wind-up horse and dinosaur, and a rubber lizard.  They mostly sit around and stare accusingly at me when I start wasting time on the internet. 
On the wall directly in front of my desk is my dart board.  Depending on what I’m working on, it might be covered with ideas for settings, conflicts, character or world building questions or writing prompts.  Throwing darts is the best way for me to generate random ideas and get my muse playing along with me.
Against the wall, beside the dart board is my book shelf, loaded down with mostly books, but also computer games (I am a full on Sims addict) and a few other things that are important to me.  I love lighting candles for inspiration, and I’ve also picked up quite a bit of neat stuff from yard sales, and thrift stores. 
My bulletin board and a few pieces of artwork decorate the other wall.  Much as I love the art work, my bulletin board is the one thing I would crumble without.  I’m a very tactile person, so everything I do needs to be written down.  My board holds my goals for the day, week and month.  I also have two calendars on the opposite wall, one a dry erase which I use for appointments and get togethers, and one a paper calendar that I use to schedule marketing type stuff.  If I don’t keep myself organized, I lose all motivation. 
So that’s my workspace.  Probably too cluttered, and busy for some, and certainly too purple for most.  I still love it. 
 
 


♥~~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥ 
 ♥Please feel free to leave your comments and opinions♥ 
♥I enjoy hearing feedback from my fellow bloggers & readers!♥ post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...